Dr. G. V. Ramanjaneyulu
Current position: Executive Director since December, 2003
Date of birth: 12th September, 1967
Education: Ph.D in Agricultural Extension from Indian Agricultural Research Institution
Focus of Work
- Working towards establishing models of agriculture which are local resource and knowledge based and economically and ecologically sustainable
- Networking people and peoples organisations towards universalising agro-ecological approaches to farming rather than as exclusive production
- Working on policy issues and building grassroot experiences into global campaigns and global issues into grassroot campaigns.
2003–continuing as Executive Director, Centre for Sustainable Agriculture, Secunderabad, India
- Pioneered the concept of Non Pesticidal Management (NPM) in agriculture. Punukula, a village in Khammam dist of Andhra Pradesh (AP) became completely pesticide free without effecting the yields.
- Established the first completely organic village Yenabavi in Warangal dist
- Worked with Govt. of AP in designing and establishing Community Managed Sustainable Agriculture in 1500 villages covering 200 thousand ha across 18 districts during 2004 to 2007-08 and the program is today implemented in over 35 lakh acres.
- Worked with Govt. of Chhattisgarh in designing and establishing Community Managed Sustainable Agriculture in 10 villages in Raipur dist.
- Consultant to FAO and World Bank for stock taking of agriculture initiatives in Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar in the livelihoods projects.
- Established community seed banks in more 70 villages
- Established 10 farmers cooperatives which are into production of food and fibre and seeds.
- Working on establishing community managed marketing system for food and seed
- Coordinating Open Source Seed Initiative in India.
- Working in establishing ecological agriculture in the crisis ridden areas of Vidarbha, Maharashtra and Punjab
- Working in Tribal belts of Araku, Nallamala in AP for sustaining tribal agriculture
- Working with World Bank and Chattisgarh Government to establish Community Managed Sustainable Agriculture
- Active partner in several research studies and campains on ill effects of chemical pesticides, fertilisers and genetic engineering and anti farmer policies across the country
- Research on regulatory processes, support systems, agriculture policies etc.
- Coordinated Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) of NGOs which has more than 100 members involved in promoting ecological farming in AP during 2005-2008.
- Coordinating the Sustainable Agriculture working group of Alliance for Sustainable and Holistic Agriculture which has more than 400 organisations across the country.
- Member of National Knowledge Commission working group on Agriculture
- Coordinating the Committee to introduce agriculture in the School Syllabii in Madhya Pradesh
- Won 1st Prize under Agriculture Category at 2nd Bihar Innovation Forum-2013 for Non Pesticidal Management initiative in Andhra Pradesh
- Won best Innovation award at Maharashtra Rural Livelihoods Innovation Forum-2014 for establishing Community Managed Sustainable Agriculture in Maharashtra.
- Member of Sub-Committee on Dryland Agriculture in the Radha Krishina Committee appointed by Government of Andhra Pradesh, 2014
1996–2003 Senior Scientist (Agrl. Extension), Directorate of Oilseeds Research, Hyderabad
- Team leader of several projects studying the impacts of improved technologies on farming and farmers
- Course Director for several International and National Training programs on Oilseed production
1995: Selected for Indian Revenue Service
- 1999: Ph.D. in Agricultural Extension from Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi: Thesis submitted for award of Ph.D degree: “Design of Management Information System for Postgraduate teaching and Research programmes at Indian Agricultural Research Institute” under the Chairmanship of Dr. A. Ramesh Babu, Senior Scientist, Division of Agricultural Extension, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
- 1992: M.Sc (Ag) from Agricultural College Bapatla, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad: Thesis submitted for the Award of M.Sc. (Ag): “A critical evaluation of Rural Agricultural Work Experience Programme (RAWEP) under Agricultural College Bapatla” under the chairmanship of Dr. P. Venkataramaiah Professor and Head, Department of Agricultural Extension
- 1990: B.Sc. (Ag) Agricultural College Bapatla, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, Hyderabad., Agricultural College Bapatla
Watch TEDx talk at Hyderabad.
Watch Toxic Food episode on Satyamev Jayate